Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Sparkling, Happy & Thoughtful

I remember the first French Champagne I ever purchased. It was a bottle of Veuve Clicquot NV. I selected it because it was made by a woman. A woman who appeared to have become a phenomenally successful wine producer despite the horrendous odds of her time. I was about nineteen years old and fiercely pro girl-power. It was the most delicious beverage I had ever drunk.

Over the years I have discovered Champagnes that are cheaper, nicer, prettier and better produced. However I will always be a raving fan of the yellow labelled, Veuve Clicquot. It was my first. It was there for new jobs, new homes, life's wins and life's loves. It was there on the morning of my birthday and all manner of special and fun occasions. It was there as a motivating reward for goals set and it was there as a well-known constant. It has never let me down.

To me, Veuve Clicquot is Sparkling, Happy & Thoughtful.
When you are faced with the often daunting task of buying wine as a gift, think of the recipient first. Ask yourself, what do they like? Recall the wines poured during some of your fondest memories together. It may not be the best or the most expensive wine, but it may be the wine that makes them happiest.

Or, think of what the wine represents. Perhaps choose from a local region or a lusted-after wine maker. Possibly a wine that has a story which resonates with the drinker. Maybe the vintage was a significant year for the two of you. If starting a new relationship, try a wine that is new to both of you.

Wine can create memories. You may not yet know what those memories will be when buying your wine gift, but you will be forever thankful that you took the time to put a little effort into your purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment